Today’s post is by our Teen Librarian, Kelley:
Teenage community service is more than something that adults insist will look good on a high school resume. It is often a requirement for graduating high school and it’s a great way for students to build their skill sets. More importantly, volunteer opportunities for teens and high school students can be a life-changing experience, one that allows teens to expand their horizons and foster meaningful relationships. Community service can point to new interests, new friends, and if you’re really lucky, maybe even a lifelong career. And yeah, okay, it’ll also look great on college applications!But where to start? Volunteering implies responsibility, and might seem intimidating. How can you be sure you’re finding opportunities that are right for you? There are always easy entry points, like the service clubs at high schools or helping out at a local library, but beyond that, the options can get overwhelming. So where should you look? There are many local and national volunteer agencies and non-profit organizations that accept teens under 18 who are interested in everything from working with animals to crafting for charities, and we’ve put together a volunteering resource for the teens of Cheshire, which is located on the teen page of our website.
Curious about still more community service ideas? Many other kinds of community groups are looking for volunteers, and some may not have occurred to you. Most of us know that hospitals, libraries, and churches use volunteers for a great deal of their work, but here are some volunteer opportunities that may not have crossed your mind:
- Day Care Centers, Neighborhood Watch, Public Schools and Colleges
- Community Theaters, Fraternal Organizations and Civic Clubs
- Arts Councils, Boys & Girls Clubs, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Meals on Wheels
- Literacy Groups, Museums, Art Galleries, and Monument Sites
- Community Choirs, Bands and Orchestras, Music Therapy Programs
- Neighborhood Parks, Youth Organizations, Sports Teams and After-school Programs
- Historical Restorations, Battlefields and National Parks
Good luck! We know you’ll soon be on the path to community service superstardom!