The kids are back to school, so this month let’s explore some of our programming for adults!
Tuesdays, Sep 6, 13, 20, 27 at 1:00 PM
“Back-to-school” is our theme for this month’s movies:
- Sep 6: Dead Poet’s Society
- Sep 13: Educating Rita
- Sep 20: Freedom Writers
- Sep 27: Good Will Hunting
Hand Painted Tissue Paper Collage
Wednesday Sep 7, 2016, 6:30 – 8:15 PM
Artist Carol Ganick will present an educational program about hand painted tissue paper collage, featuring watercolors and abstracted designs. Presented by the Cheshire Art League.
Introduction to Microsoft Word
A 3-part program:
Mondays Sep 12, 19, 23, 2:30 PM – 4:00 PM
This introduction to Microsoft Word is divided into three sessions. You will learn basic navigation skills to effectively use the Microsoft Word program; create a simple document; edit text; check spelling errors; format the document; adjust the page layout; preview; print; save; open flies; insert a picture; change font formatting and much more. Registration is required.
Cookbook Club – What’s for Lunch?
Wednesday Sep 14, 2016, 6:30 – 8:00 PM
Our newest (and most delicious) book club! Here’s how it works (register online):
- Check out a cookbook related to our September theme: “What’s For Lunch: Mid-Day Meals Your Kids (and Grownups) Will Eat”. (Visit our Cookbook Club display near the catalog computers in the lobby for cookbook suggestions.) Let’s get out of that PB&J rut and get creative!
- Try one or more recipes at home.
- Come to Cookbook Club. Wednesday, September 14 at 6:30pm. REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED. Ages 18 and up only. By registering for this program, you acknowledge that you may choose to consume food that has not been prepared in a commercial kitchen.
- Share your thoughts (and dishes). Join Library Director Ramona Burkey and other CPL staffers to discuss your cookbook reviews and “all things culinary.” Bring your cookbook, copies of your recipe, a prepared dish to share with the group, and (very important) some take-home containers for leftovers. Bon Appetit!
Adult Knitting Night
Wednesdays, Sep 14 and 28, 6:30 PM
Adult knitters meet at CPL the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month. Come socialize, learn, and share your techniques with other knitters. Experience the relaxing and calming effect of knitting. Advanced adult knitters welcome, no supplies or instruction will be given. Please bring your own supplies and talent. This adult program has a required registration.
Drop-in Tech Help
Monday Sep 12, 2016, 12:00 – 2:00 PM
Do you have questions about your computer, smartphone, or iPad? Do you need help navigating Facebook or downloading an ebook? Let our tech staff help! NOTE: Please be sure your device is fully charged beforehand. In the event your question or issue is more involved, we may ask you to schedule an appointment and come back for one-on-one help.
Remembering G. Fox & Co. in the 1950s
Saturday Sep 24, 2016, 2:00 PM
In the 1950s, just about every major city had a landmark department store. In Connecticut, it was G. Fox & Co. in Hartford! This presentation will bring you back in time to Fox’s heyday, as we go from floor to floor and recall the various departments. Please register online.
Of course, we still have a full roster of children’s programs in September, including our new Little Lambs baby program, Wigglers & Crawlers for pre-walkers, Toddler Time for ages 1-3, Slime Time Storytime for ages 5-7, and Afternoons of Awesome for older kids (8-12). There’s lots more on our Event calendar, check it out!