I had no idea that there was an entire month dedicated to my favorite pastime (aside from reading of course). March is apparently National Crochet Month! I use crochet to relax and unwind while at the same time making something. I often find myself saying “just one more row”, or “as soon as i finish this color” when I should really be getting up to cook dinner or go to bed at night. A bonus is that while working on something simple or very comfortable for me I can read or watch television as I work away.
Are you a fellow crocheter, or someone that wants to learn or pick it up again after a long hiatus? Do you want to learn from scratch, pick up some new stitches, or help someone else learn? Well, thankfully the library has a variety of books to help regardless of skill level. There are even books in our children’s section to help teach the younger generations how to love yarn and hooks as much as I do.
1. The Crochet Answer Book by Edie Eckman
4. Rowan Presents Crochet Workshop: the Complete Course for the Beginner to Intermediate Crocheter by Emma Seddon & Sharon Brant
6. 200 Crochet Tips, Techniques & trade Secrets by Jan Eaton
7. The Chicks with Sticks’ Quide to Crochet: Learn to Crochet with More than Thirty Cool, Easy Patterns by Nancy Queen and Mary Ellen O’Connell
9. Teach Yourself Visually Crochet by Cecily Keim
10. Not Your Mama’s Crochet: the Cool and Creative Way to Join the Chain Gang by Amy Swenson
Looking for some unique or comprehensive pattern collections or more advanced instruction? Well, then you might want to check out: Crochet Master Class: Lessons and Projects from Today’s Top Crocheters by Jean Leinhauser and Rita Weiss, Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects from Crocheters around the World edited by Judith Durant and Edie Eckman, Hip to Crochet: 23 Contemporary Projects for Today’s Crocheter by Judith L. Swartz, The Big Book of Weekend Crochet: Over 30 Stylish Projects by Hilary Mackin and Sue Whiting, 200 Crochet Blocks: for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans by Jan Eaton, Couture Crochet Workshop : Mastering Fit, Fashion, and Finesse by Lily M. Chin, Calamity-Free Crochet: Trouble-shooting Tips and Advice for the Savvy Needlecrafter by Catherine Hirst, The Ultimate Sourcebook of Knitting and Crochet Stitches, Big Book of Crochet Afghans: 26 Afghans for Year-Round Stitching, Knit-and-Crochet Garden , or Candy Crochet: 50 Adorable Designs for Infants & Toddlers by Candi Jensen.