With the arrival of nice weather many of us are looking to get back to walking or hiking and exploring the hidden treasures around us. Did you know that there are some great places to hike right here in Cheshire? Well, we have some small maps available for free at the library with maps of local trails and routes.
We also have some great books about hiking trails in Cheshire, Connecticut, and throughout New England. Here are some of those books that might offer you hiking routes and ideas that you might have forgotten about or simply never knew about.
1. Trails, Cheshire, Connecticut. by the Cheshire Environment Commission and Cheshire Land Trust
2. AMC’s Best Day Hikes in Connecticut: Four-Season Guide to 50 of the Best Day Hikes from the Highlands to the Coast by René Laubach and Charles W.G. Smith.
3. Short Nature Walks in Connecticut by Eugene Keyarts
4. Best Hikes with Kids: Connecticut, Massachusetts & Rhode Island by Cynthia Copeland [Lewis], Thomas J. Lewis, and Emily Kerr
5. Weekend Walks along the New England Coast: Exploring the Coast from Connecticut to Maine by John Gibson
6. Connecticut Walk Book West: the Guide to the Blue-Blazed Hiking Trails of Western Connecticut by the Connecticut Forest and Park Association; edited by Ann T. Colson.
7. Connecticut Walk Book East: the Guide to the Blue-Blazed Hiking Trails of Eastern Connecticut by the Connecticut Forest and Park Association; edited by Ann T. Colson, Cindi D. Pietrzky
8. Hiking Connecticut and Rhode Island by Rhonda and George Ostertag.
9. 100 Classic Hikes in New England: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut by Jeffrey Romano.
10. Cruising Connecticut with a Picnic Basket by Jan Mann